Long time, no talkie talkie. I know, I've been a bad blogger. In short, this happened:
Elliott was born on September 29th at 5:35am via a very emergency c-section. We were in the hospital a week (more for me than him) and since then I have been focusing on being a mom.
But! I have been called out by Miss Sundry. So here's the New Year's meme she posted:
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
Um, had a baby. Yep. Definitely that. I also made eggplant parmesan from scratch, had major surgery (see: baby), walked more than I ever thought was possible, stood up for myself more than ever, showed my girl parts to total strangers and learned just how much I could learn to love someone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I really don't ever make New Year's resolutions. I'm too flighty. I suppose I would want to lose some of the baby weight this year, but I won't be crushed if my love for all things food related wins out.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep, me. And a few friends and some family! It was another year of babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thank god, no. 2005 had enough of that crap.
5. What countries did you visit?
2006 was my year of international travel. I was a homebody this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More patience and less anxiety. I would also love to have my family closer geographically, but we're not moving and I doubt they are either.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jesus, September 29th and the week thereafter. And possibly the month and a half before. Having this baby was rough on me.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I became a mom. I made decisions that ensured I had a live and healthy baby. (Gee, sensing a theme here much??)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping up with friends and family. I hermitted away this year which was something I needed to do, but it took a toll on my relationships.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
In as much as pregnancy is classified as an illness and c-sections hurt like hell, yes.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A Fisher-Price Rainforest Multidirectional Infant Swing. As seen here. This swing has allowed Jon and me to have many uninterupted hours of sleep. I could not love the thing more. Plus, the noises it makes are really rather soothing and I don't mind the toneless "do-do-do-do" it sings to us all night, every night.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Far and away Jon's. The man has more strength than I ever realized. He should win Father of the Year, Man of the Year, Husband of the Year and maybe even a Purple Heart or a Silver Star or a Presidential Medal of Freedom or something.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
OMG the Republicans. Why were none of them impeached??
14. Where did most of your money go?
My mortgage and baby stuff. Followed by fiber. Always with the fiber.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Besides the baby (which was definitely excitement mixed with a healthy dose of fear)? I would say I got super-excited about Harry Potter and some aspects of my job. Finding what I want to do with my career would certainly make the list.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
"Someone Great" by LCD Sound System.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
I'm a lot happier, but also a little sadder, not so much richer and way WAY fatter.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had let myself off the damn hook more often. My personal standards often get the best of me.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I had complained less. I live an extremely blessed life.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
My mom came up from the Bay Area and we cooked some (extremely smoky) rack of lamb. I love all parts of my beloved sheep! :) We had mountains of presents (really, it was almost embarassing how much Elliott received). We didn't over-indulge too much and we certainly appreciated all that we received, including the white christmas!
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I did. I definitely did. I re-fell in love with my husband and fell hard for our baby boy.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Far and away, Battlestar Galactica. So say we all!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Other than politicians? No. And I'm really happy about that.
24. What was the best book you read?
I spent my year reading pregnancy books, but the one novel I did read was wonderful. Harry Potter 7, you were lovely and I'm so sad to see you go!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Guitar Hero. Puts the wee babe to sleep within SECONDS.
26. What did you want and get?
I wanted a happy and healthy son and I definitely got that. I also wanted familial harmony and got that in spades.
27. What did you want and not get?
More hours in the day. Also, a Schact Matchless spinning wheel.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Knocked Up. It's surprisingly realistic and Katherine Heigl was hilarious.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For once, I didn't have class. That was nice! I turned 27 and we spent the night at home. Jon fulfilled my wish to feel "not like *just* a mom".
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
My being able to sit back and enjoy things instead of always looking forward.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Tomboy comma pregnant.
32. What kept you sane?
Knitting and Jon. If my hands aren't busy my mind gets restless.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Tina Fey. Jon is obsessed with her and I have definitely gotten on board. Also Katee Sackhoff who plays Starbuck on BSG. I admit to having a girl-crush on her. Her face! It's just so expressive!
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare. Why the hell can't our country get its shit together? "Market solution" my ass, Republicans!
35. Who did you miss?
I wish the sober version of my dad was here to meet his grandson.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
The ladies of my prenatal water aerobics class. We still get together and they're all really wonderful.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Let other people help you when you need it. I can't possibly please everyone all of the time.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This one just isn't possible...
So there you have it,
Linda people. No promises for more frequent updates, but I might pop up every now and again if I knit something particularly wonderful...
Posted by Sarah at 12/31/2007