5.29.2007

Tagged

Hey folks, I've been tagged. What an honor (dubious though it may be)! My first meme!

Seven Random Things (about me)

1. I have no sense of smell. It's a dominant genetic trait on my father's side (he had no sense of smell and neither did his mom). To answer the inevitable follow-up question: Yes, I can taste things just fine thankyouverymuch. Of course, I wouldn't really know any different since I have nothing to compare it to, but my general assessment of food seems to be on par with those with working olfactory glands around me.

2. My undergraduate degree is in linguistics. At one point I thought I wanted to work on speech recognition software for a company like IBM. Thank god I dodged *that* bullet!

3. I have owned a horse since I was 11 with only a 5 year break during my undergrad and the couple of following years. I have been riding since I was 4, though.

4. I grew up with a complete Javanese gamelan in my house. My parents lived in Jakarta for 3 years in the 70's and had free shipping of all their furniture home courtesy of the bank my dad worked for. I can play just about every instrument at a passable level but I am particularly good on the bonong. Having this in our house also meant that all sorts of weird people would come over all the time and ask if we lived in a temple, how do we commune with the spirits of the instruments, etc etc etc. I grew up in an area with a disproportionately large hippie population.

5. I really really hate bananas.

6. I learned to knit when I was about 7 on our summer backpacking trips. Mom thought it would be a good way to keep me occupied. I didn't really take to knitting, however, until I was a teenager and had a phone with a headset in my room but found I needed something to keep my hands busy.

7. I see a therapist once a week. Mostly to deal with anxiety.

So that's all! I won't tag anyone else (because y'all already did it or don't have blogs or are busy having babies or something).

Next time: knitting content. I swear!