2.23.2006

My Best Friend

As we all know, I have been spinning up a storm as well as staying ahead of schedule for my Olympic knitting. Tonight, Jon and I were supposed to go out for a special dinner at a fancy-pants French restaurant (Campagne for those of you in Seattle). But at 5pm or so, we AIMed each other and both of us had tummy aches; hardly what you want to have when preparing to eat an expensive meal of foie gras. We mutually decided to stay home tonight instead and go out on Saturday night when we are both feeling a little less like we drank a smoothie of battery acid, hummus and entrails.

Secretly, I wanted to stay home, try my hand at Navajo plying with the Blue-faced Leicester that I dyed the other night, knit on the Lace Leaf and watch figure skating. So I came home, kissed my husband and sat down at the wheel. I don't have a tensioned lazy kate and within minutes, I was ready to shoot myself learning to navajo ply. I called desperately to Jon and the dear sweet man that he is, he sat on the floor and held a finger to the bobbin on the lazy kate to create the tension I needed.. I'm not sure that he can get any more perfect than he already is, folks. Who's husband sits on the floor for a half an hour helping his wife to create her very first plied yarn? My husband, that's who. Simply an amazing man.

Except that it gets better. Today at lunch, this arrived at my office:



It's like the cake that was in the anniversary party scene in "So I Married an Axe Murderer" (one of my favorite and most-quoted movies) where Mike Myers proposes to Nancy Travis.

Thank you muffin pants, you are the best husband in the entire world and I am the luckiest girl in the world to have you. Happy 3rd (8th) Anniversary; I can't wait to be with you for the rest of my life.