9.24.2006

OFFF: or Maude's Facelift

Howdy folks! Try as I might to sound chipper, I am a wee bit pissed (still) this week. I've been taking it out on those around me (sorry) and I'm sure I've been a general delight to be around.

Nevertheless, I managed to get my butt down to bootilicious Canby, OR for the 10th annual Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival (OFFF) to increase my strategic stash reserves. Surprisingly, I only bought half of one llama fleece and under $100 of yarn (most of it for other people). I was shocked and amazed too!

The day started off well at about 8am for the drive down to Canby from Seattle. Jon went with me, we took turns driving, and played all day with go-karts waited patiently while I took far longer to get through it all than I had anticipated. Luckily for me, I was rescued form the overwhelmingness of it all by the fabulous Duchess and her friend S. It was really wonderful to have two other amenable fibernerds to sort through the piles and piles of wool/llama/alpaca/angora/cashmere/cotton/flax/dog/goat/etcetcetc.

The one thing I wish I could have done was make this entry an audio entry. The sounds of OFFF were amazing. From the ridiculous voices of the different sheep ("baaaa" to "mehhh" to hoarse staccato bleets) to the muppety "Beaker" noises of the baby alpacas (seriously, the little squeaks, sighs ad beeps alpacas make is a reason to buy one). So, without further ado, the pictures!

The coated Robosheep with leather horns. Creepy!

A Jacob with and obscene number of horns

Bunnies on the move!

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. I just love these two!

The Beaker twins

And now, the fiber stash augmentation!

Socks that Rock

Dyeing A.R.T. in cotton perle for x-mas sox

Sarah Johnson and Rachel Iverson have it going on! How cute is this pattern?

Sporfarm baby alpaca laceweight in copper.

Ella Jean, the llama

And the piece de resistance, fiber from Sara Anderson in colorway Autumn Joy:

So pretty!!

Great Balls of Fiber!

And, of course, since I can't just leave well enough alone, we are also giving our house Maude a little shot of botox. She really needed a central focus for the main floor bathroom. You see, before, she was an era slut; a little from the '20s, a little from the '50s, a little from the '80s... We're restoring the bathroom to the '20s with a euro-style vanity and new fixtures and subway tile. Maude should feel a little less confused when we're done...

Maude sez: "Peace out!!"